Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Super Friends

Pardon the extremely corny name, but I'm trying to keep it in theme with the title of the blog page.

Those Super Mom's and Dad's are not always going to be around you forever to look after you.  It is important to learn how to manage your Diabetes and slowly take more and more responsibility.  For me, its taken 21 years to get a full grasp on how to take care of myself fully (My parents still aren't convinced HA!).  It took for me to go to college and be forced to take care of myself.

As you grow up and become more independent, it is very important to establish a safety net of friends or just one friend that truly cares about you and is willing to help you through any situation.  You are going to see these people more regularly than your parents so it is important that they are educated on Diabetes and are aware of symptoms.  The biggest thing is teaching them how to use a glucagon in case of serious emergency.  By having reliable friends who constantly are looking out for your needs, you feel more comfortable knowing that you have back up, and it also puts your parents' minds at ease.

I have had two instances where a friend has given me glucagon when I had a serious low, and I am eternally grateful to have such wonderful people in my life.   So identify that friend or group of friends that you are very close with and can trust with being your safety net for Diabetes.  Simple education on what to do in certain situations, what to look out for, and even arming them with some fast acting glucose can go a long way in ensuring your safety.  My safety net of friends are almost considered family members and treat me with such respect, and understand that having Diabetes is just something I have to deal with and are very understanding.

So all of you Super Friends out there (you know who you are), from the bottom of my heart I thank you.


-CA

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great article! look forward to reading more.