Thursday, January 26, 2012

Product Analysis: Omnipod

This week I wanted to talk about the kind of insulin pump that I use and how I benefit from it.  I used a medtronic pump for 9 years and switched to an omnipod around 2 months ago.  The big thing for me was no tubing.  I can not tell you how many times I had a bubble in the tubing or a kink in the canula and found out when my blood sugar was 350.  The Omnipod is tubeless and waterproof, and has a cell phone looking item that controls the insulin and is also a tester kit.  It is basically your one stop shop for Diabetes management and has helped drop my A1C over a full point.  I think the accessibility of it and how it looks like a cell phone lead to me testing more, and monitoring better.  The medtronic was clipped on my boxer shorts, and I had to unbuckle my pants to get to it.

The pump is also self priming and is very easy to set up every 3 days.  It holds 200 units and I have even stretched it to 4 days and have had no problems.  And when I mean no problems related to the pump, I mean ZERO.  No occlusion, no kinks, no crazy blood sugars related to the pump.

The other great thing about Omnipod are the people who work for them.  Through the business world, I have had the privilege to work with numerous reps around the country and each is nicer than the previous.  They truly care about your well being and will do anything to help you.

https://www.myomnipod.com/DemoPodConditionsAgreement/


Let me know your thoughts and why you like your specific pump.


FYI: I do not work for Omnipod in any way, shape, or form.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

deI have had an Animas Ping for four years. I have never had any problems with the technical support. I used the infusion set for almost four years and developed an allergy for the canula tube. I had to test out many diffrent insets.I now use the contact detach which is part of the steel insets. It has a steel needle that stays in your skin for three days instead of a tube. Now I have no problems at all!